Thursday, July 3, 2008

What a week!

Kai kissing himself in the mirror soo cute!
Well I was debating on posting about this because I don't want to make anyone worry but I guess since this will probably be the best journal that I will keep for my family I will post it. Tuesday morning around 5am little Kai had a seizure caused by a fever, he woke up screaming and the way he sounded I knew instantly something was wrong, when I got to his room his body jerked in his crib and I thought I had startled him but then he kept jerking... I knew it was a seizure so I grabbed him and held him as he continued jerking (it was awful). We are so lucky we live with my mom who is a nurse, I was able to run to her room and ask her what to do. She told us to go to the ER, as we were driving there the seizure stopped, it had lasted almost 6 minutes. In the ER they took his vitals said everything looks good and told us to keep his fever as low as we could and to follow up with our pediatrician (apparently this kind of seizure is very common). At the pediatrician office he said about the same but because of JR's family history of seizure disorder, if Kai had another seizure he would order a full work up. Now for those of you who don't know JR's mom died from a seizure she had in her sleep, December 06. She had seizure disorder pretty bad her whole life, so we have always had the fear of seizure's in the back of our minds. Now even though Kai's seizure was caused by a fever you can imagine what we were both hoping wouldn't happen. All day Tuesday we could not get his fever to break and he was not feeling good at all. We kept giving him motrin and bathed him, hardly dressed him, and the air conditioning was on full. He had a blessing that night and we all were just hoping he would sleep good. Well Wednesday morning comes and this time we are waken by the same scream around 6am. JR ran and got him this one lasted only 2 minutes but afterward he was vomiting violently and that lasted another three minutes. I was a mess, we took him to the ER again but this time they did the full work up, blood tests, CT scan, urine samples and everything came back normal, what a relief. So this morning came and no seizure just a happy boy he still isn't 100% and got another fever this afternoon but nothing like the past few days. Like I said earlier it is very common the stats say 1 in every 7 children before the age 6 will have a febrial seizure ("fever seizure") and that unless he has one agian in say the next few months they won't treat him any different even with the family history. So thank you to my family, neighbors, and my great friends it is so comforting to know that so many people care. The prayers that were said in Kai's behalf were much appreciated. We love this kid!

28 comments:

Tami said...

Oh my gosh Kal I am almost in tears right now. I can't believe how hard that must have been. All I can say is I just love you and you are such a good mom I don't know what I would do if that happend, you are so strong and I know your heart was probably breaking. We will keep little Kai in our prayers. I had a freind out here that had that happen to her daughter too. I know it is pretty common, but I am sure with the family history you were fearing for the worst. I am glad he is ok he is such a cute little guy and I glad he is happy again. I just love ya!!

Tiffini said...

kalli
I so know how you are freaking out. Hayden was doing that a couple of time but not nearly as long. I am so sorry for you guys and for Kai. The pictures of him are way cute though. Your family is in my prayers! I love you guys and Kai and I know Kai will be alright. Keep us updated PLEASE!!!

Kara's Party Ideas said...

kalli! uggg..my heart started racing so fast just now as i read all that! i'm so glad he's okay..that is so freaking scary! it sounds like you handled it pretty well..i don't know what i would have done. little kai is the cutest kid, ah..i'm so happy he's ok! :) you guys are definitely in our prayers! love ya!

My Barratt Family said...

I am so sorry you had to go through this. He is so dang cute. And you and JR are amazing parents.

Katie said...

I'm so glad your mom was able to be there and make things easier. I'm SO GRATEFUL that he is doing okay now and that he passed all the tests! Thanks for keeping me updated.... you are such a great friend and I will always help you whenever you need anything!!!!

Cori Henderson said...

Kalli! How hard for you! I am glad that he is doing better right now. I don't know what I'd have done if I were you, I would have been a nervous wreck! You are so strong. Poor little guy. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you guys. I hope he continues to feel better. We love ya!

Paul said...

Oh poor little Kai! I am so glad that he doing better! That is seriously the saddest thing! You guys did awesome though. Keep me posted.

Brad and Jana said...

That is so scary! My mom had told me and I was worried! I am glad he is okay. He is the cutest ever!

Leslie said...

that is terrible for a mom to have to watch! I'm so sad for that little guy! I'm happy that everything came back normal with all of the tests! We really need to go to lunch one of these days and catch up! Its been way too long!

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

I am so sorry Kal. Is there anything I can do? I hope he is doing better. Poor little guy. That is so frusterating.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love you...

Levi said...

Poor little Kai. So many things to worry about. I am glad he is doing okay. I hope you are JR are okay. That was probably traumatizing. He's in our prayers. We love sweet little Kai!

Levi said...

p.s. Fork lift rental is levi and lyndsy tippetts

Jobi Niu said...

Oh my gosh.. I got teary eyed reading that Kalli. Especially cause those freaking adorable pics of him are above the story I think.. my goodness.. I love him! I'm glad he's doing better. I hope NO MORE SEIZURES! You and JR are such sweet parents.. aww.. Keep us updated!

Shari and Trent said...

That is way scary!I would be freakin. I am glad he is doing better.

Coley said...

Hi Kalli! It is Nicole from the good ol' home depot! I found your blog on Lyndsy's. That is so scary about Kai. I hope that he will be ok! Atleast the tests looked good though! If you need anything let me know, but it looks like you have plenty of friends ;) !!!

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

Im so glad Kai is feeling better Kalli. I was so scared for you. Just keep us updated and keep posting pics. The one with the hat...wow. That is the cutest pic I have ever seen:) SO cute.

Russ and Suz Adamson said...

Ohhh Kalli, my heart is with you. I know that so many are telling you not to worry but if you are anything like me, I am a worry freak!! You are so tough and if it were me, I wouldn't even know what to do. I will definitely you are in my prayers and hope that this will pass. He is so dang cute. I didn't not know that about JR's mom. I guess we are given things in life that we are capable of handling and you are a much stronger woman than I am :)

Tiffini said...

How are things going? We need cute pictures of Kai and an update.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so scary. I am so glad he is okay. I can't imagine how scared you guys must have been. ( I was scared just reading it)
PS his pictures are so cute. He is such a Houston!

Kalli said...

Becky add me to your blog email me jrnkalli82@hotmail.com

Cori Henderson said...

Hey Kalli! I want to know how things are going. We do need to get together!!!! How's Kai doing? I haven't stopped thinking about him. I hope things are good!!! Also, I was wondering how much you would charge to teach swimming lessons at my dad's pool to like my kids, and nieces and nephews? If you had time. Anyway, love ya, and I hope to hear good news from you soon!

Anonymous said...

Kalli- I hope everything is going better now. Little Kai is so cute.

kEnZiE b said...

Oh Kalli, my heart goes out to you girl.. I can't even imagine watching a child, let alone your own go through that. I'm so sorry you guys had to experiance that, especially with the history. I'm glad he's okay, if there is anything that I can do let me know!!
So I know this was posted a while ago, but we just got internet again.
Love ya & Miss ya

Tami said...

I am laughing right now!! So many good memories. Like that one time that we kissed the same guy on the same night and didnt know it until later. Ha Ha. Or the time we went to Los Hormanos after you and that one kid broke up. Or my favorite was just cruising in your 4runner singing to tunes and wearing our sweet sunglasses. So many to choose from, I just love your gut's. And miss ya!

Jewels said...

Hey cute little girl, I ran into your blog from Corianne! your little boy is so freaking cute and you look so cute too! I hope that you are so happy, you look like you are. Hope to keep in contact with you! Love ya!

Tiffini said...

Dude seriously you need to update your blog. Its been a MONTH since I've had a Kalli update. How is everything going? Obviously you're super busy.

Jewels said...

Oh my gosh is he darling or what....anyways I love the Wii Fit and yes its user friendly. You think it wouldnt be a good workout but it actually is! Good to hear from you and you look darling by the way!

Jennikunz said...

Oh poor cute Kai, and his mom and dad! Keep me posted on your little cutie! Your an awesome mom and I can only imagine what you were going through! Love you Kalli!

p.s. Levi and Lyndsi Tippets live one house away from me... what a small world